Over 30 venues across south east London are among more than 1,300 arts venues and organisations to receive up to £1 million each as a share of £257 million of state funding.
Organisations including Greenwich Theatre, Greenwich+Docklands Festival, HQ Theatre in Bromley and the Albany in Lewisham join establishments such as the Cavern, Bristol’s Old Vic theatre and the London Symphony Orchestra in receiving the lifeline.
The tranche of cash is part of the Government’s £1.6 billion Culture Recovery Fund, and will “protect these special places” which “form the soul of our nation”, said Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden.
The funding will help performances to restart, assist venues to plan for reopening, protect jobs and create freelance opportunities, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport. (DCMS) said.
Monday’s recipients are venues and organisations who applied for less than £1 million, with future releases of up to £3 million going to larger organisations in the future, it added.
Organisations have welcomed the funding as an “essential lifeline” to ensure heritage sites can remain open following the financial hit caused by Covid-19.
Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said: “As a nation, it is essential that we preserve our heritage and celebrate and learn from our past.
“This massive support package will protect our shared heritage for future generations, save jobs and help us prepare for a cultural bounceback post-Covid.”
Below is a full list of every recipient of the funding in Greenwich, Bromley, Bexley, Dartford, Lewisham, along with the level of funding received to help them reopen.
- AirCraft Circus Academy £50,000 Theatre Greenwich
- Arch 468 Theatre Studio £55,597 Theatre Greenwich
- Artstrust £157,152 Dance Greenwich
- Blackheath Conservatoire of Music and the Arts Ltd £228,000 Music Greenwich
- Emergency Exit Arts £110,998 Theatre Greenwich
- Greenwich Leisure Limited (GLL) £167,051 Not discipline specific Greenwich
- Greenwich Theatre £245,000 Theatre Greenwich
- Greenwich+Docklands Festivals £55,000 Combined arts Greenwich
- Les Enfants Terribles Theatre Company £203,663 Theatre Greenwich
- MDM Props Limited £247,784 Visual arts Greenwich
- ORIGINS SOUND LTD £74,226 Music Greenwich
- Selladoor Productions £755,084 Theatre Greenwich
- Up the Creek Comedy Club £165,000 Combined arts Greenwich
- HQ Theatres Bromley Ltd £435,586 Theatre Bromley
- Electric Star Fellowship Ltd £100,000 Combined arts Lewisham
- Hub Arts Map £50,000 Visual arts Lewisham
- IRIE! dance theatre £60,000 Dance Lewisham
- M.O.T Venue Ltd £78,420 Music Lewisham
- Matchstick Theatre Ltd £80,493 Music Lewisham
- Mi Soul Radio £114,372 Music Lewisham
- Music Room Solutions Ltd £123,272 Music Lewisham
- New Cross Inn £225,000 Music Lewisham
- Poetry London £50,052 Literature Lewisham
- Poodle Club £52,652 Theatre Lewisham
- Sister Midnight Records £51,036 Music Lewisham
- Sound Services Limited £172,755 Music Lewisham
- The Albany £248,468 Combined arts Lewisham
- thelordchamberlainsmen £72,135 Theatre Lewisham
- Mediashare Ltd £241,000 Not discipline specific Dartford
- Orchard Theatre Dartford Ltd £244,576 Theatre Dartford
- Pyrojunkies Limited £142,429 Not discipline specific Dartford